"Something Got On Board."
These two 32mm scale Proto Keelers are produced by "Papsikels Miniatures" and were sent to me as a free STL (Standard Triangle Language) file as part of their PAPSIPACK Welcome Models subscription set on "Patreon". The miniatures were produced using "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin on a Mars 3 Pro 3D Printer and are clearly inspired by the fledgling xenomorphs seen in Ridley Scott's 2017 science fiction action horror film "Alien: Covenant".
Unfortunately, one of the sculpts' hind legs repeatedly misprinted due to the suction on my build plate causing the area's pre-built supports to fail. So I decided to strengthen the offending limb on each figure by placing a skull produced by "Encounter Terrain" directly behind them. Both models were then super-glued onto a pair of "Citadel" plastic 40mm circular bases, primed using a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Warm Grey, and shaded with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
I next gave the two miniatures a light dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Warm Grey followed by a lighter dusting of plain White. Disappointingly, disaster struck at this stage with one of the aliens' arms snapping completely off. Luckily, the Water Washable Resin really takes super-glue well, so I was able to reattach the offending limb and continue on my merry way with only a night's delay. In addition, the elbow joint is arguably stronger now than it was before breaking.
In order to try and blend the dry-brushing together a bit better I swamped each miniature with a watered-down wash of (more) "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and subsequently picked out the softly-detailed mouths with a combination of "Vallejo" White and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. Lastly, I decided to bloody the xenomorphs up a bit, as seen in the motion picture, so repeatedly dipped a torn piece of sponge into some diluted "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red, and sporadically dabbed each model with the Contrast Paint.
This 'blotching' technique seemed to work rather well, and also allowed me to 'cover over' any mistakes, as well as the aforementioned broken joint. Once everything was dry. I gave the hapless human skull a coat of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand, drenched it in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, and then dry-brushed it with a little (more) "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand and White to bring out all is grim details.
Alongside my latest submission to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) I have been working on all manner of other 32mm scale models by "Papsikels Miniatures", ranging from more Xenomorphs and Exterminator E-800s, through to a trio of Omega Yurneyan Exofist battle golems. In addition, I've started 3D printing, basing and priming a number of the company's 28mm Cyberpunk figures with a view to potentially pigmenting a number of these sculpts next month...