"The Wehrmacht Made Much Use Of Captured Enemy Vehicles..."
Updated: Oct 29
This 10mm metal Soviet four-wheeled armoured scout vehicle used to be sold by “Pendraken Miniatures” as SV53 - BA64 armoured car (2). But nowadays appears to be available as Code SVV34. This particular model was actually ordered as part of a large 'Battle Of Moscow" project I was working on approximately twelve years ago for "Blitzkrieg Commander", and was only recently discovered when I (once again) searched through my 1/150th scale backlog for some Early World War Two units.
Initially mistaken as a German Sd.Kfz 221, the 'jeep' was super-glued onto a 30X40mm plastic base, and given a couple of coats of "Vallejo" Neutral Grey. Its "multi-faceted hull" was then doused in "Citadel" Nuln Oil, before being dry-brushed in (more) "Vallejo" Neutral Grey. I also 'picked out' its tyres with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and the reconnaissance vehicle's wheel trims in a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. As a final step I pigmented the car's stowage using some "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and a dash of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.
Having had my error pointed out to me, I did originally consider simply repainting the entire model in 'Russian green' and then 'tucking it away' with the rest of the Soviet Early War forces I painted more than a decade ago. However, before I committed to this decision I thought I'd just check to see whether the Axis Powers ever captured any BA64s, and was delighted to discover that "his little Soviet-built armoured car was captured in quantity by the Germans and easily converted for their own use."
Unfortunately though, when I dug a little deeper it appeared that the Panzerspahwagen BA-64 was notably utilised by the decidedly disagreeable Das Reich 2nd SS-Panzer Grenadier Division during the Battle of Kursk in July 1943. This meant that their use was well past the time-frame I was using for my Operation Sealion Early War project, and also raised the currently contentious issue of fielding "an elite division of the Waffen-SS" on the tabletop. In the end, I decided to add the unit to my 'Battle of the Bulge' Late War campaign (hence the snow-flocked base), as Heinz Lammerding's division did fight in the Ardennes Offensive, and stick to applying just a pair of German crosses to its side from the WWII Hungary Bulgaria Romania Finland Turret Markings Crosses sheet by "Decal Details".
Moving across to Zomtober, I thought I'd squeeze in a 28mm scale metal model of a Nazgul produced by "Games Workshop" before the challenge closes in a few days time. This previously-started second-hand figure had its prime smoothed out with an application of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before being dry-brushed in “Vallejo” Heavy Charcoal and drenched in “Citadel” Nuln Oil. The Ringwraith's armour and sword were later ‘picked out’ using a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Whilst, the dead King’s armoured gloves and boots were given a little “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade to suggest rusty weathering.
Alongside these miniatures, I have additionally managed to 'eek out' a bit more time on the final four figures from my Napoleonic French blister of Fusiliers In Greatcoat Marching by "Wargames Foundry". I'm hoping to get these soldiers completed "toot sweet", so I can spend November both increasing the company's number, as well as adding some additional regiments to the Emperor's army - such as the odd Chasseur and perhaps Old Guard Grenadier...